Friday, December 16, 2011

This was the first post I made about the Victorian Mawbeys on 31 January 2010 on my MAWBEY FAMILY AUSTRALIA blog.
I originally intended to do all the Mawbeys in Australia on the one blog, but it became too big and unwieldly so I have created new blogs for each state.
Victoria starts here ...
31-01-10
The state government of Victoria (Vic) does NOT have a free online historical family history search index. They charge 99 cents to view a page of records, and will only accept payment by credit card.
Not having a credit card, all I have been able to ascertain is that under all BDM categories, there are 66 records under MAWBEY and 160 under MAWBY.
My newspaper research has revealed that a very prominent person in early Melbourne, the capital city of Victoria, was HENRY MAWBEY.
He was a horse racing identity and it is probable that a MAWBEY STREET in the suburb of Kensington is named after him.

It is near the Flemington Racecourse where the world famous Melbourne Cup horse race is held on the first Tuesday in November each year.


There was also a large family of MAWBYs at Daylesford in Victoria, a member of which was CHRISTOPHER WOODWARD MAWBY.